Heartland Film Development Officer
Job Purpose: To promote the Heartland Film brand and secure revenue through strategic sponsorship programs, membership programs, fundraising campaigns and special events. This position will work directly with the Vice President to create appeals and campaigns with the goal of raising funds for Heartland Film. Additionally this role will consist of proper recording of gifts, concierge services for our VIP donors, sponsors and Silver Screen members, and general appreciation letters to document donations.
Reports to: Vice President
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Assist with aspects of designing, implementing and assessing a comprehensive major gift fundraising strategy
• Manage a strategic cultivation and solicitation program for annual donors
• Manage a strategic cultivation and solicitation program for Festival sponsorships
• Engage with Heartland Film Board of Directors to create development opportunities with a focus on major gifts, partnerships and corporate partnerships
• Assist Marketing Department with marketing ideas and implementation for giving initiatives
• Assist Special Events Director with ideas on donor, corporate and promotional events
• Solicit planned gifts, major gifts and donations, sponsorships and memberships though direct meetings, emails, phone calls and direct mail
• Create a stewardship program to appropriately recognize all donors and levels of giving
• Oversee and manage database input, reports, and maintenance
• Identify prospects and expand donor base
• Seek and secure donations, sponsorships and memberships to meet or exceed yearly expense budgets-oversee grants program
• Office leadership as a Heartland Manager
• Special event assistance at Heartland Film’s year-round events including Cultural Journey, Indy Shorts, Heartland International Film Festival and other Roadshow events
• Mandatory attendance during the Indy Shorts Festival in July and the 11-day Heartland International Film Festival in October assisting with VIP parties, Premiere Pavilion events, leading Q &As and film introductions, donor and sponsor attention, concierge services, problem solving and team leadership
• Miscellaneous tasks when needed may include: assisting with general office duties, occasionally answering phones, packing direct mail pieces, assisting with Roadshow theater set-up, etc.
• Bachelor’s Degree with at least 2-3 years related experience
• Passion for fundraising and working with donors, sponsors and members
• Experience with orchestrating relationships with prospective donors, sponsors and members
• Experience with establishing contact with current donors, sponsors and members
• Experience with preparing proposals, brochures, and benefit packages to solicit prospects for donations, sponsorships and memberships
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, Google Drive and donor databases
• Ability to learn the DonorPerfect software and Eventive used in the Heartland Film office
• Exhibit strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Goal oriented and self-motivated to success
• Ability to speak effectively before groups and other employees
• Ability to work in a team environment for the greater goal
• Online and digital fundraising knowledge preferred, but not required
• Strong organization and analytical skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects with efficiency, skill and grace
Our Internship Program
Heartland Film interns will serve a crucial role in putting on the Academy Award-qualifying Indy Shorts (July 20-25, 2021) and/or the 30th Heartland International Film Festival (October 7-17, 2021) in Indianapolis.
At Heartland Film, we offer a fun and informative work environment where students can gain valuable experience in film festival planning and implementation, portfolio building, and networking opportunities in the nonprofit and entertainment industries.
Our internship positions are ideal for undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at an accredited college/university who are looking to obtain school credit, or recent graduates within one year. Some positions are also available as unpaid internships. Interns are expected to work a schedule of 12-20 hours per week with the potential to work more hours during the Film Festivals.
In 2021, we will be offering a mix of virtual and on-site internships. Interns who have on-site positions will ideally live in the Indianapolis area and must have reliable transportation.
Positions that will be offered in 2021 (subject to change):
-Film Programming (Virtual) Applications closed December 1, 2020
-Event Production (On-site)
Summer 2021 internship openings will be posted here later this Spring. Check back later or keep up with our social media pages for updates!
Thank you for your interest and look out for more information soon!