As a nonprofit arts organization, Heartland Film greatly relies upon the hard work of interns and seasonal staff. Interns are typically hired in the Spring, Summer and Fall, with seasonal positions opening in mid-Summer. Don’t see an opening right for you? Consider becoming a Heartland Film volunteer!
- Marketing Coordinator
Job Title: Marketing Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Marketing & PR
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Location: Heartland Film – Indianapolis, IN
How to Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing/design samples to Greg Sorvig, Heartland Film’s director of marketing & public relations (single PDF or link to portfolio site preferred).
Summary: This position is responsible for graphic design, Web/social media updates, assisting with public relations/media and other miscellaneous marketing tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Graphic design (print and Web) for Heartland Film programs, including the Heartland Film Festival. Includes both promotional and development collateral.
- Author blog posts, social media posts and press releases (AP Style competency).
- Comfortable with public speaking and making cold calls to the media and community partners.
- Assist with press/media events, including interviews and red carpets.
- Assist with marketing materials to support Membership outreach
Essential Skills and Education include the following.
- Competency with print layout, image editing and vector artwork using Adobe software.
- Front and backend email formatting and creation.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills for office and phone meetings with clients
Desired Abilities and Attributes include the following.
- Passion for film and the nonprofit industry.
- Passion for design, writing and/or media arts.
- Interactive Web ad design and implementation.
- Video editing knowledge a plus, but not required.
- Experience with media lists, preparation/distribution of press releases.
- Familiarity with DSLR cameras and the capture of photos/video.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices and the online advertising landscape (Google Ads).
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies : Analytical – Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures. Design – Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail. Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics. Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget. Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills. Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Solicits customer feedback to improve service ; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments. Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively. Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically. Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time. Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Initiative – Volunteers readily; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks. Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Makes timely decisions. Motivation – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks. Professionalism – Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Follows through on commitments. Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Quantity – Works quickly.
- Highly organized.
- Strong communication skills.
- Positive attitude and willingness to work effectively as part of a team.
- Bachelors in mass communications, graphic design, film, journalism, art, or related field.
- At least 2 years related experience (can be overlooked based on portfolio and talent).
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software, social media platforms and design software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator.
- Proficiency with WordPress and working knowledge of HTML/CSS.
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media outlets.
- Familiarity with Adobe Fireworks, Flash, Premiere, Dreamweaver.
- Familiarity with media tracking/distribution software – Vocus, Cision, etc.
Certificates and Licenses:
No certifications needed
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will generally work in an office type environment. The employee will occasionally be exposed to the elements while traveling to and from locations for business reasons. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Distance vision, Depth perception, Color vision, and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.