Adam Howell – Director of Operations
Adam is responsible for running all the behind-the-scenes operations at the Heartland Film Festival and Heartland Film Roadshow events. This includes planning logistics, event management, technical production, quality control, vendor liaison and more.
Adam earned a Bachelor of Arts in Music Business from Anderson University. Outside of working with Heartland Film, Adam has worked at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, managed production for three Anderson University chorale tours across the country, and still performs in a vocal group that has performed more than 600 concerts across the country.
How long have you been working at Heartland Film and what did you do before joining the staff?
I’ve been working at Heartland Film for five years and before that I interned at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in the Event Management Department.
Complete the following sentence: I love my job because…
I get to create exciting events and memorable experiences for our audience.
What was one of your favorite films growing up?
Remember the Titans.
Name three-five of your all-time favorite films.
- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003, Peter Jackson)
- Inception (2010, Christopher Nolan)
- The Lego Movie (2014, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller)
Do you have any favorite filmmakers/directors? What do you like about their work?
Christopher Nolan – His storytelling forces me to really think and then turns my brain upside down. He always pushes the envelope on telling stories.
What’s one of your favorite feel-good movies, guilty pleasure movies or films that make you laugh?
Nativity! It stars Martin Freeman and played at the 2010 Heartland Film Festival. A fun story with hilarious kids acting like kids.
Who are three of your favorite fictional characters (movies, TV, books, etc.)? What do you like about them?
- Olaf (Frozen) – I absolutely love his ignorant humor and Josh Gad has a great voice.
- Chewbacca (Star Wars)– How can you not love a furry guy who is the most loyal and defends all those he loves to the very end.
- Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings) – Seems to be the glue amidst a lot of deception, loss in faith and everything else going wrong. He shows compassion and extreme justice!
What do you like to do when you are not working or watching movies?
I love to sing. I sing in a vocal group that travels around the area performing. I also love to golf. I am terrible, but love golfing.
What are your top three karaoke songs, or songs that you love to belt out when you are driving alone?
- “Ebay” by “Weird Al” Yankovic (a parody of “I Want It That Way”)
- “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey
- “I Get Around” by The Beach Boys
Is there a special talent and/or superpower that you wish you had?
I would love to be able to fly so I could avoid rush hour traffic.
You’re throwing a party and you can invite anyone in the world (dead or alive, famous, historical, etc.) –who would you invite and would the party have a theme?
I would have a karaoke party and I would invite “Weird Al” Yankovic.
What advice would you give the younger version of yourself?
I would tell myself to watch more movies so I don’t feel lost when the film buffs talk about film!